Forums suffering Priority Inversion with Livelock

lutger lutger.blijdestijn at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 07:18:26 PDT 2008

e-t172 wrote:

> Steven Schveighoffer a écrit :
>> I'd hazard to guess that 90% of software developers couldn't care less.
>> If I have an x86-64 platform, I have no idea, I just know the compiler
>> makes
>> code and it runs :)  And my computer is only a year old, so it probably
>> is
>
> Imagine you want to compile a program for a Debian x86_64 (or any other
> 64bit distribution). Problem is, you can't link a 32bit program to 64bit
> libraries. So if you want to link your D program to third party C
> libraries, you're basically screwed. Therefore, I think they care,
> actually.

You can link a 32-bit program to 32-bit libraries and run them on a 64-bit
operating system. I develop on a 64-bit OS with dmd and while it's
sometimes a bit funny to locate and install 32-bit development libraries,
it is quite  doable. For making true 64-bit binaries, GDC is there. The
only bummer I think is that the inline assembler is still stuck on 32-bit
even with GDC?

Well this is with linux, I suppose it is possible for windows too?

Though I think everybody would like to see a 64-bit dmd and a rewrite of
optlink especially, I don't see how this could take priority above the
development of the D language. And const currently is the main thing,
saying it is not a high-priority is like saying 'stop Walter, you're done'.
You can disagree with the const design, but that's a different argument
altogether.