Isn't "transitive" the wrong word?

Janice Caron caron800 at googlemail.com
Sat Apr 5 11:40:53 PDT 2008

On 05/04/2008, Manfred Nowak <svv1999 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> a R b
>  =(def)
>  if a is const and b is reachable from a
>  then b is const

Got it. It took me a while to prove it, but the relation you cite is
indeed transitive in D, but not in C++. So, it is correct to say:

STATEMENT 1:
The relation "(a is const) and (b is reachable from a) => (b is
const)" is transitive in D, but not in C++.

However, I still dispute that it is correct to say:

STATEMENT 2:
const is transitive in D, but not in C++.

In what sense is statement 2 equivalent to statement 1?

The way I see it, statement 2 cannot be true, since "const" is not a relation.