Where do you go to find your C++ articles and/or news these days?

Georg Wrede georg at nospam.org
Sat Apr 5 16:28:52 PDT 2008

Matthew Wilson wrote:
> Hi
>
> It's been a while since my consulting practice stole all the time I wanted to spend researching and writing, and things in the
> publishing world seem to have changed considerably in that time. CUJ is gone, and other magazines seem to have lost their pizzaz
> (and some, perhaps, quality along with it). Other than the ACCU, I'm not aware of anything C/C++-related maintaining any significant
> momentum. Of course, I could be quite wrong, which is why I'm putting out the question.
>
> I've a number of things that I want to publish in the remainder of the year, including intro pieces, design discussions and
> tutorials on Pantheios, FastFormat and flecxx, and extracts from my next book, Breaking Up The Monolith. There're also several
> things I'd like to write up that pertain to s/w engineering in general, or to other languages.
>
> I'd really appreciate hearing from people where they go these days, so I can best target the prospective audience.
>
> Some possibilities:
>  - CVu / Overload (ACCU)
>  - CodeProject
>  - DDJ
>  - The C++ Source
>  - newsgroups
>  - just not interested in C++ / C++ libraries any more
>
> Thanks in advance

Well! The second guy this week, who walks in from ages of absence.
Welcome back, Matthew!

"- just not interested in C++ / C++ libraries any more" would be my choice.

Since I don't want to start earning my bread coding in C++, there's no
point in keeping more than a "read-only" fluency in C++, and thus any
libraries become less relevant.

When I last remember having seen you here, D was unknown to most folks.
Today things are different.

Why not quickly publish what you already have, and then start writing
about D? Why beat a terminally ill horse, when you should use a car.
(The horse bit is actually your own first paragraph, above!)

Switch to D, and see Scott Meyers &co sink in the C of obsolesence,
while your street credibility does the Red Bull.

georg