Isn't "transitive" the wrong word?

Jeff Nowakowski jeff at dilacero.org
Sun Apr 6 12:14:32 PDT 2008

Janice Caron wrote:
> Now, the way I see it, const() is a function. It's a function which
> takes a type as its input, and returns a type as its output. According
> accu-functional.pdf, const() is defined by four rules (numbered 0 to
> 3). Rule 1 says:
>
> Rule 1: If T.field has type U, then const(T).field has type const(U)
>
> That, to me, looks like a classic example of a recursive definition.

Ok, you've changed my mind.  Saying "const is transitive" is sloppy,
even though it's easy to see how that phrase could come about and it's
intuitive to me -- since const(T) is riding on the transitive nature of
data accessibility.

Walter has said academics papers validate his usage.  Maybe he can cite
a source?  I've looked around and haven't found any examples where "x is
transitive" and x is a non-binary relation.

-Jeff