Best windows Client Server lib

janderson askme at me.com
Tue Apr 8 19:44:52 PDT 2008

Unknown W. Brackets wrote:
> I think it sounds like what you want could simply use FTP as a backend,
> or even DAV.  Mail is most likely the completely wrong way to do it...
>
> In fact you basically seem to be describing FTP (user asks for/sends...
> reply... etc.)  FTP, of course, is a bit slow (which is why Subversion,
> also similar in ways to what you describe, is implemented using DAV.)

It should be very similar to Subversion.  Actually subversion may be
used as a backend (ie to store history and stuff but no direct interface
to the user).

> Some questions to help narrow down your search:
>
> Would all your clients be Windows?

To begin with yes.  In the long run I'd like to make it portable.

> Would your server also be Windows?

Yes.

> Do all clients only talk with the server, or with each other?

Just to the server.  Server, Client not peer to peer.

> Do they relay things through the server, or just store things that other
> clients will then ask about?

> Do you have any plans/desires for being able to scale the solution to
> more than a single server?

Eventually but not in the beginning.  I imagine it would need to support
about 100 users, maybe 10 at a time.

> Do you need security/certificates/encryption?

Yeah, mainly for passwords so I can't see them, although encrypting all
the data would probably be useful.

> Does the server actually need special logic, or is it a bucket?

The server will have some special logic, like special access privilages
for users and stats tracking.  Basically I need to monitor and control
every request the user makes and its a dynamic thing (ie a users
privileges can change based on things they do).  I also may eventually
add things like chat down the road.

Great questions BTW.

> I've actually taken part in writing an FTP server, and had a data
> communication server (it's used for multiplayer games and chat and
> stuff) contracted using D, but those were both simply using sockets.
> FWIW, if you decide to extend Phobos' Socket I strongly suggest
> recompiling Phobos as a debug build.  There are gotchas.
>
> -[Unknown]

Thanks.