On the richness of C++

Georg Wrede georg at nospam.org
Thu Apr 10 08:37:29 PDT 2008

I read

http://www.nwcpp.org/Downloads/2007/redcode_-_updated.pdf

and upon reading it I got thinking of something else. Those familiar
with C++ (aren't we all?) probably sometimes come across things that
somebody has done in C++ that are simply stunning. Things that one would
have thought would need a new language, or maybe just be impossible to
implement at all. I know I have. (A lot of Boost stuff is like that,
originally the STL got me breathless, but there's a lot that's not
template related, too.)

Is it just paranoia, or is C++ still more flexible and expressive than D?

Are there still things you can do in C++ that are impossible or too
awkward to do in D?

Of course, I don't mean Obfuscated C(++). While that definitely
demonstrates the unfathomable agility of the language, I'm only talking
about serious, non-juvenile stuff.