Removing D embedded in HTML feature

Jim Hewes jhewes at sysviewtech.com
Thu Apr 10 19:29:10 PDT 2008

"Jussi Jumppanen" <jussij at zeusedit.com> wrote in message
news:ft1pbt$1j3d$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Christopher Wright Wrote:
>
>> 3. It already takes me five minutes to check out a
>> fresh copy of my projects at work. If the files
>> contained formatting data, they'd be a fair bit
>> larger, which would increase that time. That would
>> be annoying.
>
> And adding binary files to the version control would
> put an end to any meaningful file difference/change
> history feature, making the change control pretty
> much unworkable.

Normally, you inspect file differences using a special differencing utility
such WinMerge, true? Nothing to do with the version control. So why can't
that utility understand a new standard file format? Or, at least know how to
find the raw code within the file. A touted feature of version control
systems like Subversion and Mercurial is that they can handle binary files.
But the graphics need not be binary; they can be vector drawings and could
be stored in XML format.

I'd rather not be satified with any argument that says we can never have
anything more than ASCII because all of our existing tools understand ASCII,
and we can never build new tools.

Jim