OT - Memory usage in days of yore

Saaa empty at needmail.com
Fri Apr 11 07:50:27 PDT 2008

>> I'd rather see a pissing contest then erm.. well.. a crapping contest.
>
> I really don't understand the relevance of that statement. It seems a
> bit rude to me. Is this some internet jargon with which I am
> unfamiliar? Maybe like trolling or flaming or something? I sense no
> ill will in this thread.

You seriously don't see the relevance?
I see you and others being cool about having less.
Only the post from Georg Wrede was interesting.
I'd rather see what kind of new technologies people currenly have.

> And there is a positive side to it. Though we were being nostalgic, in
> passing we were also pointing out how /much/ it's possible to do with
> only small amounts of memory. Modern compilers, for all their
> optimisation techniques, could still learn a lot from what the human
> brain was doing in the early eighties.

Personally I think that is an extremely obvious observation. But then
again, my work is in artificial intelligence.