OT - Memory usage in days of yore

Brian White bcwhite at pobox.com
Fri Apr 11 14:51:35 PDT 2008

> Oh dear, we live in the past.

Past?

I just spent the last 7 years writing code for a 1-MHz 8032.  On-chip it
has 256 bytes of ram, 1/2 of which is directly accessible (like
registers) and the other half is indirectly accessible.  It has a stack,
but you can't index off of it so variables are either static or
overlayed by the linker from the possible call-chains it can determine.

Still...  I had a fully operational TCP/IP stack in under 12KB (external
RAM and ROM), including IPsec*, that could pass 1KB of data from a tcp
app to the ethernet controller in about 8ms.

-- Brian

*IPsec was statically keyed and could do about 500B/sec throughput, if I
remember correctly.

I wrote an SSL implementation just for fun...  It took about 10 minutes
just to do the initial handshake.