What is the correct use of auto?

Robert Fraser fraserofthenight at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 15:03:00 PDT 2008

Hans W. Uhlig wrote:
> I have been reading through the specification and playing with D more
> and more, what is the purpose of auto. I can understand in languages
> with scalar types handling datatypes on assignment but on a strictly
> typed language like C or D when would auto(as a variable declaration)
> provide more useful functionality then it removes from readability.
>
> When would this be useful rather then simply specifying the type?

I want to (someday, not any time soon) add a feature to Descent whereby
"auto" can be converted to the actual type automatically throughout a
source file. That way, you can get the advantages of less typing (as in
"Punch the keys for God's sake", not "int vs. long") while still getting
the readability after the refactoring.