What is the correct use of auto?

Georg Wrede georg at nospam.org
Fri Apr 11 23:18:18 PDT 2008

Robert Fraser wrote:
> In fact, if you say "auto static x = new object()" the "auto" has a
> different meaning (the same meaning as "scope"). This part, of course,
> is inane and confusing but good for backwards compatibility.

We oughtta do Spring Cleaning in D.

If we don't watch it, soon D will become cluttered with ever so subtle
crap like this, that only serves as hindrance to those who try to learn
the language. There are many other examples of similar small things,
that we hardly notice, but that really make a difference in how easy and
fast folks can get up to confidence with the language.

And, yes, I know, whenever somebody takes them up, the answer is always
like, it's for backward compatibility, for the ease of C(++) guys, and
whatever.

It's like a single man's dwellings. A little dust here and there, and
underware on the armchair.

OTOH, to give Walter credit, D doesn't look anything like Perl. Bet
Larry has beercans in the bed.