Question 2: Extendible OpenGL GUI library

Jacob Carlborg doobnet at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 07:04:56 PDT 2008

janderson wrote:
> Thanks for all your answers on my previous network library question.
>
> The second thing I'm looking for is an extensible, portable GUI library.
>  Eventually I want and need the ability to improve and add my own types.
>
> The most important control I need is a multi-line textbox which I can
> add functionality to as I need it.
>
> I was thinking that openGL would be cool (although not necessary) as I'd
> be able to do some neat iphone like stuff (and 3D GUI's) one day in the
> future.  So it would be nice if these gui's were made out of 3D polygons
> or renderable on a texture.
>
> So far luigi looks like my best option:
> http://www.dsource.org/projects/luigi
>
> I want to avoid writing my own GUI library because I know I do I'll
> never get this project done.  I'd rather not port something, although I
> will do if its worth it.
>
> What do you use?
> What libraries do you suggest and why?
>
> -Joel
>
> PS - Does anyone know if its possible to render controls like scintilla
> on to a openGL texture?

I suggest DWT http://www.dsource.org/projects/dwt , a D port of SWT
(http://www.eclipse.org/swt/). It uses the operative systems functions
to draw it's widgets. It's ported to windows and linux, if you use it
don't forget the JFace port
http://www.dsource.org/projects/dwt/wiki/JFace . You can draw opengl
things inside a DWT shell (window) if it helps.