Question 2: Extendible OpenGL GUI library

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Sun Apr 13 12:45:09 PDT 2008

janderson wrote:
> Thanks for all your answers on my previous network library question.
>
> The second thing I'm looking for is an extensible, portable GUI library.
>  Eventually I want and need the ability to improve and add my own types.
>
> The most important control I need is a multi-line textbox which I can
> add functionality to as I need it.
>
> I was thinking that openGL would be cool (although not necessary) as I'd
> be able to do some neat iphone like stuff (and 3D GUI's) one day in the
> future.  So it would be nice if these gui's were made out of 3D polygons
> or renderable on a texture.
>
> So far luigi looks like my best option:
> http://www.dsource.org/projects/luigi

It probably is, at least until H3r3tic's Hybrid gui lib gets released.

> I want to avoid writing my own GUI library because I know I do I'll
> never get this project done.  I'd rather not port something, although I
> will do if its worth it.

I felt the same way when I started writing luigi.  And unfortunately for
you, I still feel the same way today. :-)  Meaning Luigi isn't actively
maintained because I just needed some way to get some buttons and
sliders on the screen, and now it does that.  I would have used someone
else's lib if there had been one to use.  It only has 1-line text fields
right now, though.  No multiline.  But I did write it with the idea of
making it extensible in mind.

> PS - Does anyone know if its possible to render controls like scintilla
> on to a openGL texture?

Possible? surely.  Easy?  Doubtful.   I believe Qt has a nifty generic
drawing context setup that allows you to use GL as the rendering surface
for any Qt widgets.  And I bet someone has ported Scintilla to be a Qt
widget.  So that's a possible existence proof.  But it will not likely
be easy to duplicate that.

--bb