On the richness of C++

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Mon Apr 14 04:49:39 PDT 2008

Edward Diener wrote:

> D has some really nice features but it really needs much better language
> documentation to attract programmers, especially C++ programmers.

Hah, I think the same thing every time I'm forced to try to use a boost
library.  :-)   Like just today when I had to go look at Boost::MPL to
see what it was all about.

> In other words it seems as if D should be able to do some of the Boost
> libraries, which makes C++ so pleasurable to use in general despite the
> difficulty of dealing with C++ templates, fairly easily. At the same
> time most of the Boost libraries are tremendously useful. I will look in
> the Phobos library for their equivalents to see if D has some of the
> same abilities in its library.

The book with the misleading title is about Tango, actually.

Maybe you could tackle porting whatever you find useful about Boost::MPL
to D as a first project?  :-)

I'm sure many here would be happy to help.
(And would also be interested to find out what people find useful about
Boost::MPL -- my one experience trying to use Boost::lambda sent me
screaming back to good old for loops.)

--bb