Think of the children

Homer a at b.com
Mon Apr 14 05:59:44 PDT 2008

Hi,

When designing a language, please think of the children. Or they are going to really curse you for yet another initially promising language- turned into a complex language with many unexpected corner case behaviors :P. I like what I have seen so far in D. Its really a pleasure to use for small home projects. I see many people pointing out the rough edges in D 2.0 (comparisions, auto etc) and I am worried that these may not be addressed properly in order to release D 2.0. I've also seen things like "yeah D doesn't have it but neither does C++".

Please DO NOT make such concessions.

Its impossible to design something perfectly that gets everything right, but at least all issues that are brought up must be ironed out. I wish the D language development method can be tweaked so that more people can contribute and the language/ main compiler matures much more quickly.

Thanks.