OT - Memory usage in days of yore

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 14 07:33:51 PDT 2008

"Georg Wrede"
> Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> So this 8K ROM, 256 bytes of RAM chip is really a modern embedded
>> microprocessor.  It had a built in i2c bus, SPI bus, 2 hardware timers,
>> and 22 GPIOs.  And with 3 of those parts, I had to monitor i2c based
>> sensor devices, run a watchdog, create a dynamically addressed protocol
>> for an external i2c bus, read and write from an external EEPROM, and run
>> a 2x16 LCD front panel with a 4 button interface.  I actually ran out of
>> code space at one point, and had to 'invent' a new way of doing 8-bit
>> pointers in a 16-bit address space in order to reduce the code so it
>> would fit.
>
> Last year I had an excellent list of firms that sold that kind of
> single-board "computers", and I lost it in a disk crash. You wouldn't
> happen to have a few pointers for me?

Sorry :(  I wasn't in charge of acquiring such things, just in charge of
programming them.

Plus, these were just chips.  We put them on boards we designed ourselves.

But I lost a disk once with 2 weeks of development work on it, and these
guys were able to recover it for me:  http://www.drivesolutions.com/

-Steve