A fresh look at comparisons

Scott S. McCoy tag at cpan.org
Mon Apr 14 11:00:04 PDT 2008

I like this, except for the semantic irregularities similar to Scala
we'd be introducing by not having the operator evaluated.

Also, if you can't cast successfully I'd think you would simply return
false for opEquals.

if o !is C, then they can't possibly be equal. ;-)

The idea behind opEquals acting this way, I assume naturally, is that it
enables the ability for your type to know how to compare itself to
multiple *other* types which exist.  Somewhat similar to how you can
freely compare a long and an int in many cases, without ramifications or
need to know any bit-wise or type difference.  So what is the answer?
What makes two types comparable?  Common inheritance?  Where?  How do I
specify (if all I'm saying is "is(this == c)" the possible types I can
be compared to within my system.  What if I know these types, and they
are not my descendants?  Or if they are my descendants, when and how can
I say that my descendant is not comparable to it's parent?

Cheers,
	Scott S. McCoy