Handling constructive criticism

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Wed Apr 16 15:21:51 PDT 2008

Derek Parnell wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 13:21:21 -0400, Jason House wrote:
>
>> I don't mind Walter being our benevolent dictator, but I do hope
>> that he'll proactively pursue help and delegate responsibility.
>>
>>> I'm sorry if this sounds a bit defeatist, but in my defense
>>> it's a defeatism that's been born out of experience.  Insofar
>>> as the D language itself is concerned, it's largely a "take it or
>>> leave it" situation.
>> Maybe with continued effort, things will change :)
>> Maybe one day I'll join you with your defeatist attitude,
>> but I'm not there yet...
>
> I surrendered long ago. I can't even be bothered reading those post you
> talk of now. Nothing will come of them. Walter won't change. D will fester
> on for a while but all the good things that it could have been will not see
> light of day. D is already lot better than the alternatives and that seems
> to be good enough for Walter. Mediocracy rules. There is no desire to aim
> higher.

The current problem seems to be the opposite to me.  The problem *is*
that Walter doesn't think D is good enough, and so he think he needs to
add ingredient C to woo large-systems developers or ingredient P to try
to leap ahead of the competition.  If anything he's aiming too high,
into territory that no one knows anything about, and which may pan out
to be ultimately not so useful.  Or it may pan out to be fantastic.  I
don't think anyone knows.

--bb