Handling constructive criticism

Jason House jason.james.house at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 18:36:59 PDT 2008

Walter Bright wrote:

> Jason House wrote:
>> I am not so detatched from reality that I expect you to do everything.  D
>> has become larger than a one man project.  You shouldn't be the one
>> creating all the action plans, but you should be the one encouraging the
>> community to pursue specific directions.
>
> I tried that once with DWT, and progress on it promptly halted (it has
> since been resurrected and finished, but there was a long hiatus there).

Do you think that was your fault?

> Essentially, I stink as a manager. The things that get done with D are
> ones done by people who don't need to be managed. They are entirely self
> motivated.

One person described good management as "giving people the work they want to
do and then getting out of the way".  While I'm not suggesting that you
manage what gets done within the community at a low level, I think a few
gentle nudges may help.  If you decide on a few key initiatives and
consistently reinforce them, they'll happen.

Also, if you don't feel like you're able to selectively manage stuff, it may
help to empower a few trusted colleagues to help with this kind of thing.

>> A little empowerment can go a long way.  Who wants to dedicate their
>> spare
>> time to doing something that ultimately gets veto'd?  What you say may
>> carry more weight than you realize.
>
> I realize that what I say can carry a lot of weight - which is why I try
> to be very careful not to rain on anyone's parade here.

Good idea.  Similarly, praise/encouragement can have an equally strong
effect.