Handling constructive criticism

Don nospam at nospam.com
Thu Apr 17 00:53:59 PDT 2008

Homer wrote:
> Walter Bright Wrote:
>> Derek Parnell wrote:
>>> The current development model is no longer the best one for a better D.
>> If you put 100 people working on the D compiler, it probably wouldn't
>> move forward any faster. Take a look at the D compiler progress vs
>> compilers for other languages with teams working on them.
>
> I agree the D compiler is already pretty good. But just 10-20 people working on it would definitely polish D to a new level. Please Walter, I urge you to some how allow more developers on the D compiler. If you can't manage people, you have to elect someone you really trust to take care of it and discuss the key things weekly.

IMHO, I don't think the compiler is holding D back at all. Languages
have had great success with compilers that aren't nearly as good.
Sure, there's many bugs to be fixed, but people can already submit
patches. That's not a bottleneck.

Bigger limitations are in the rest of the tool chain, documentation, and
successful major projects. D needs polishing, more than anything else.

I'd even suggest that already, too much of the D community spends time
worrying about language issues (such as const) when there's far more
useful things that could be done.