Handling constructive criticism

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Thu Apr 17 08:56:31 PDT 2008

== Quote from Jason House (jason.james.house at gmail.com)'s article
> Following my own advice for a more proacitve role to constructive criticism...
> Sean Kelly Wrote:
> > It would be nice if 64-bit support were improved
> > (or at least the ABI were
> > modified to account for this)
> Who defines the ABI?  Is that just Walter?  Do people developing GDC and LLVMDC have any kind of
influence over this process?

It's Walter.  Though I imagine he may be open to input, particularly for
platforms that DMD doesn't target.

> > and if the linker discarded more unused code.
> What is "the linker"?  is this a problem with the digital mars tools or a more generic problem?

This has been mentioned most often regarding the DigitalMars linker, but
from what I understand, "ld" has the same problem, even with "gc-sections"
set.  Apparently, the LLVM linker works as desired, however.

> > Fixing debug symbol output on linux would be nice as well (I believe symbols
> > are still mangled in gdb).
> I thought someone created a GDB patch for D symbols.  Is that true?  if so, why hasn't it been adopted
by the GDB team?  How can we cause that to happen?

No idea.  It would be nice to have the same patch applied to DMD as well,
if possible.  I'll admit to having never used GDB on D code though, so I'm just
relaying my perception of the state of things.  Perhaps someone with
more experience here could comment.

Sean