Handling constructive criticism

Robert Fraser fraserofthenight at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 15:10:18 PDT 2008

Hans W. Uhlig wrote:
> Perhaps this can best be accomplished with gdc. GDC from what I can
> gather is dead

It's not; it just progresses very slowly. You'll occasionally see a bug
marked as closed, so it's going somewhere.

> but the backend used by GCC is superior to the dm backend
> (not due to insufficient coding but simply due to significantly more
> people giving loving care, attention and eyes over a long period of
> time).

That's a gross generalization. the GCC backend generates better code for
some things, the DigitalMars backend generates better code for others.

> I understand the dm chain will always be the formal one, but
> perhaps integrating some of the polishing into gdc might be a good way
> to complete a workable product.

DMD's frontend is used as the frontend of GDC and the backend is
closed-source. So what are you thinking about integrating?

> I would volunteer for this but my
> knowledge of compilers is rudimentary at best. Although I will be
> looking over source code to see if I can understand how it works.

Cool!

I think Dil is where it's at. DMD's frontend is fast, but it's a total
mess (I helped port it to Java, where it's even more of a mess), and Dil
helps replace that with a sane and hopefully more easily debuggable
frontend. Hopefully, Dil will be pluggable so that different backends
(GCC, LLVM) will be easily added using just a visitor.