Handling constructive criticism

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Fri Apr 18 18:12:35 PDT 2008

Hans W. Uhlig wrote:
> Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
>> "Bill Baxter" <dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com> wrote in message
>> news:fu5u61$1m4u$1 at digitalmars.com...

>>> The current problem seems to be the opposite to me.  The problem *is*
>>> that Walter doesn't think D is good enough, and so he think he needs
>>> to add ingredient C to woo large-systems developers or ingredient P
>>> to try to leap ahead of the competition.  If anything he's aiming too
>>> high, into territory that no one knows anything about, and which may
>>> pan out to be ultimately not so useful.  Or it may pan out to be
>>> fantastic.  I don't think anyone knows.
>>
>> I'm sure this is what you're getting at, but it's both.  Because W
>> keeps adding feature C (lots, and lots, of feature C.  forever.) and
>> thinks about feature P, feature M, and feature T don't get any love
>> and so fall into decay.
>>
>> It'd be great if development on featured C and P just _STOPPED_ for
>> once and if we could get some other features working _properly_.  You
>> can't build a house in a tidal zone without a hell of a foundataion.

I think many people would like to see GCC become the official back-end
of D.  It has certainly been proposed before.

Walter, however, is concerned about GPL taint, and he doesn't even want
to *look* at any GCC code for fear that rabid GPL fans will claim he
stole GPL code and put it into DigitalMars products.  Though the
possibility seems remote, I can't say I blame him.

BUT! LLVM has no such licensing problems.  It's got a very nice liberal
license that Apple and others have been taking advantage of to create
both proprietary and non-proprietary stuff.
http://llvm.org/releases/2.2/LICENSE.TXT

LLVM is the way to go.  Go Thomas Go!

--bb