Library standardization

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Sat Apr 19 08:57:41 PDT 2008

== Quote from Janice Caron (caron800 at googlemail.com)'s article
> On 19/04/2008, Sean Kelly <sean at invisibleduck.org> wrote:
> > Except sometimes the programmer doesn't want code exposed, even if
> >  it means faster execution.
> There's nothing actually to stop you from withholding the source. Just
> make two copies of the .d file - one with implementations, and one
> without. Compile the one with, to make the library object file, and
> distribute the one without.

The whole point of automatic header generation is to avoid the issues
associated with manually maintaining header files.

> > Exposing implementation can also have implementation changes cause
> >  client code to have to be recompiled.
> Changing /any/ source file should require all dependent source file to
> be recompiled. That's why we have makefiles and other build systems.

No.  Changing a source file should require the application to be re-linked.
As someone who has worked on programs that can take half a day to build,
I would throw a fit if every source change required a full rebuild of code that
simply includes a header related to this source.

Sean