D adoption prerequisites

Unknown W. Brackets unknown at simplemachines.org
Sat Apr 19 09:10:42 PDT 2008

Perhaps that's true about the way you design web-based software, and I'm
sorry if it is... but if you think they can be made elegantly you're
really missing out on a large part of programming.

As for making programs more internet-ready, this is definitely useful.
Of the programs I use daily, almost every single one of them has
internet logic tied into it - browser, email, updates, ftp, rss news,
live help, etc.

Of course, most desktop applications are intended to be used without
necessary internet.  It would be ridiculous to write an archive
extractor which:

1. Uploaded the archive, in full, to a remoting server.
2. Asked the server to extract it (on a queue.)
3. Polled for completion and progress updates.
4. Downloaded the resulting files.
5. Presented the user with the result.

If anything's worthy of www.thedailywtf.com, that would be.

Also, there's no need or gain really to making all of these things
expose a C interface.  The trouble there is you lose things like
templates, proper strings, etc.  I would hate to deal with such an API
in D, and so it would have to have a wrapper.  But why?

Running on the "internet cloud" and doing remoting is not difficult.
Writing an API for that would be easy.

However, if you think Google would've ever written their Gmail as a
desktop client, that's just silly.  There are so many reasons they would
never do that as their only/primary interface.  If you want Gmail on
your desktop, take a look at Mozilla Prism.

Also, they've made the back button work, make sure you're using a modern
browser.

-[Unknown]