Library standardization

Janice Caron caron800 at googlemail.com
Sat Apr 19 09:26:19 PDT 2008

On 19/04/2008, Sean Kelly <sean at invisibleduck.org> wrote:
> > There's nothing actually to stop you from withholding the source. Just
>  > make two copies of the .d file - one with implementations, and one
>  > without. Compile the one with, to make the library object file, and
>  > distribute the one without.
>
> The whole point of automatic header generation is to avoid the issues
>  associated with manually maintaining header files.

I didn't say it was /easy/. I just said there's nothing to stop you
doing it. I'm not a fan of closed source software, so I have no wish
to make it easy. :-) The point is, if that's what you want to do, you
can.

>  Changing a source file should require the application to be re-linked.
[but not recompiled]
>  As someone who has worked on programs that can take half a day to build,
>  I would throw a fit if every source change required a full rebuild of code that
>  simply includes a header related to this source.

So you want the ability to import a module, but not have to rebuild
dependent files if that module changes?

Good luck with that one.