Library standardization

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Sat Apr 19 16:45:02 PDT 2008

On 2008-04-19 19:01:09 -0400, Lars Noschinski
<lars-2008-1 at usenet.noschinski.de> said:

> * Janice Caron <caron800 at googlemail.com> [08-04-19 19:15]:
>> OK, so you're basically saying you want D to have header files, like
>> C. Fair enough. The prospect doesn't thrill me, but I would be
>> intrigued to know how other many people want this.
>
> How does Java handle this case? They also do not have header files there.

In Java, if I'm not mistaken, you don't need the source of a class to
use it in your code. The compiled class file contains everything the
compiler needs to know about a class and the signature of the methods
in it. Inlining is done by the virtual machine at runtime.

If you change the implementation of a class, because no inlining is
performed at compile-time it doesn't matter which version you compiled
against, as long as the API is compatible between the two versions.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://michelf.com/