Library standardization

Hans W. Uhlig huhlig at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 11:55:01 PDT 2008

Walter Bright wrote:
> Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
>> As far as I know, a compiled Java .class file can work in place of the
>> source file from which it was generated.  The .class file contains all
>> the declarations in a table, so the compiler doesn't have to parse any
>> code.
>
> That's right, the compiler just uses the .class file.
>
>> The eqivalent isn't really possible with any current implementation of
>> D, since all D compilers now use typical object file formats instead
>> of a custom format.  I mean, I suppose it's _possible_ to embed some
>> information into the object file and have the compiler read it out,
>> but I have no idea what that would entail or if all object file
>> formats would support that, etc..
>
> Yes, it is certainly possible to embed the information in the .obj file.
> But it's kind of "why bother". Furthermore, in the future, the 1:1
> correspondence between .obj files and source files may go away.

That would probably be a good thing but why can a obj file not have its
"implementation header" inside the object. It would bloat the object a
little but having it in there would allow for better
optimization(through compartmentalizing, limited loading and such) and
the same non header requirement as java.