D adoption prerequisites

Yigal Chripun yigal100 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 16:26:53 PDT 2008

Roald Ribe wrote:
> Yigal Chripun wrote:
>> When you use Gmail, the browser downloads the interface component which
>> is a javascript script and than runs it. The same would happen with my
>> proposal, only in my proposal that would be either already a compiled D
>> component or a D source file that would be compiled on the fly.
>> just like you currently need a client runtime to run that javascript UI
>> component [The web browser] you'll need a run-time component to run D
>> code. this can be done the same way Adobe did with AIR - if you do not
>> have it it'll be automatically downloaded with the first program you try
>> to run. if you have an older version it can be automatically updated.
>> all you need to use Gmail is navigate to the right URL, conversely all
>> you need to run an Air app (if you haven't installed it) is navigate to
>> the right URL/click a link. This doesn't need to affect your working
>> habits as a user.
>
> You are describing Java / Webstart...
> *A lot* of catch up to do...
>
> And in Java they have security with signed applications.
>
> Roald

a) I've described the general concept, not a specific implementation.I'm
well aware of Java's implementation but it hasn't caught up because of
several major flows in its design. Adobe's Air seems at first somewhat
better, but it has its own flaws too like the no-right click allowed
issue (have they fixed this already?)
I can list other similar implementations: Adobe Air, Mozilla Prism,
gravityzoo, and newio [you can find all of then via Google].
b) the whole idea of signed applications is flawed IMO. It's no
replacement to proper security. just like I would want my image viewer
to only show images and ask for permission to access anything else, I
would want my RIA to ask for permission for specific questionable
actions instead of demanding full trust and complete access to my system
to work. in that regard, Adobe did a much better job by actually
defining what an Air app can and can't do without permission.

-- Yigal