K. Inaba's Chart of D's Growth

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Tue Apr 22 16:39:32 PDT 2008

Robert Fraser wrote:
> Bill Baxter wrote:
>> K. Inaba made this chart for the Tokyo D-BOF that happened a while
>> back.  I was kind of waiting to see if one of the organizers would put
>> up all the slides somewhere, but seems like maybe no.
>>
>> So here's the best slide of the whole BOF event in my opinion.
>> Requires Powerpoint. maybe some kind soul can convert it to a free
>> format.  I did the translation work. :-)
>>
>> It sometimes feels like a long wait between releases (kinda like
>> now...), but the numbers don't lie.  It's truly amazing how
>> consistently productive Walter has been.
>>
>> --bb
>
> Sorry to ask, but what are the units? There's a lot of growth, but
> what's growing?

Good question!

"Growth" was probably the wrong word.  I should have said "D's Evolution".

The x axis is obviously time, which you probably guessed.

I think the y axis may be "#of releases times 0.001".  So the 0.05 line
would then represent the 50th public release version of D.  Anyway it
looks for the most part like each marker is a fixed y delta from the
previous one.  So the y-axis is probably "#of release times [some
constant]"
There is one place in the middle that looks to be more than 1 step above
the previous point, but that may just be a data entry error.  Or maybe
there was a release in there that was pulled because it was too buggy?

And then I think D2 is just offset downward by a bit so as to be visible.

I'm pretty sure the data was taken directly from the change logs on
digitalmars.com.

--bb