Updating D 1.0

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Thu Apr 24 14:49:48 PDT 2008

Sean Kelly wrote:
> == Quote from Mike James (mj.wave at btinternet.com)'s article
>> What is the successful way of updating the (Windows) DM and DMD subdirectories when a D update is
> ready. I have just updated 1.27 to 1.29 by copying/merging the directories - it failed with the Tango
> library files when I did a test compilation so I have unzipped the old files and put them back as before. I
> have used DInstaller for the complete install previously but it's not up-to-date with 1.29 yet...
>
> Regarding Tango, if a compiler release includes new functions in the runtime, then Tango must be
> updated to include them before a Tango app will work with that version of the compiler.  This is
> generally a pretty quick process on my part, but it requires my being at home and in front of the
> computer to accomplish, which means not until this evening PST at the earliest.

I think the problem is the OP just overwrote his Tango-fied sc.ini with
the stock DMD one.

After I unzip a new dmd version over top the old one, I run my
"usetango.bat" script which looks like this these days:

----
@ECHO OFF
echo Setting up DMD environment for using Tango runtime libraries...
copy "%DMDDIR%\dmd\bin\sc.tango.ini" "%DMDDIR%\dmd\bin\sc.ini"
copy "%DMDDIR%\dsss\etc\rebuild\default.tango"
"%DMDDIR%\dsss\etc\rebuild\default"
ren "%DMDDIR%\dsss\include\d\std_tango_" std
ren "%DMDDIR%\dsss\lib" libphobos
ren "%DMDDIR%\dsss\libtango" lib
echo Done.
----

Note that I keep a copy of the tango version sc.ini in sc.tango.ini.

And here's the corresponding usephobos.bat too:
----
@ECHO OFF
echo Setting up DMD environment for using Phobos runtime libraries...
copy "%DMDDIR%\dmd\bin\sc.phobos.ini" "%DMDDIR%\dmd\bin\sc.ini"
copy "%DMDDIR%\dsss\etc\rebuild\default.phobos"
"%DMDDIR%\dsss\etc\rebuild\default"
ren "%DMDDIR%\dsss\include\d\std" std_tango_
ren "%DMDDIR%\dsss\lib" libtango
ren "%DMDDIR%\dsss\libphobos" lib
echo Done.
----

I also keep a copy of the default phobos sc.ini in sc.phobos.ini.

The only problem is if DMD changes what it puts in sc.ini.  But I don't
think that's happened in a long time.

--bb