Status D dynamic libs?

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Fri Apr 25 10:57:58 PDT 2008

Tom S wrote:

> DDL on the other hand, provides pretty much the functionality that .SO
> on Unix do (plus introspection of the loaded modules), thus allowing
> partial linking. Everything 'just works' since the undefined symbols
> will be taken from the host application, thus globals, typeinfo and
> whatnot will be shared between the host and the plugins.
>
> DDL is not being actively maintained because Eric is currently busy with
> other stuff, mainly due to rand() real life events.
> Last time I checked, DDL compiled with Tango and the basic examples worked.

Yup. Due to the nature of DLL's, D-to-D shared libraries are never going
to work right (unless one restricts the API to C-level constructs only,
ie, no classes, no exceptions, etc.).
That's why a project such as DDL is so important, and it's a shame that
Walter does not realize how beneficial such technology would be for D.
Anyone who has used libraries with Java or C# (or interpreted high-level
languages) knows how comfortable it is not having to worry about any of
such issues, and still have the full power of the language available
across libraries.

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Developer, MSc. in CS/E graduate