Library standardization

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Fri Apr 25 14:37:39 PDT 2008

Janice Caron wrote:
> On 25/04/2008, Bruno Medeiros <brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail> wrote:
>>  And since you are a person that (frequently) wishes to comment on D's
>> design, and make language change proposals,
>
> We can all make proposals.
>
> However, so far as I am aware, only /one/ of my proposals has ever
> been taken up. (That was the proposal that "const T" should mean the
> same thing as "const(T)"). All the rest have fallen by the wayside,
> because I'm not the one who gets the final say.
>
> I'm not the one you have to convince!

I meant that it was important for the consideration of others that read
and review your proposals, not just for Walter, or for the actual
approval of the proposal.

Although it's rare, sometimes people came up with proposals that go
against the stated goals of D. Like a proposal to remove pointers from
the language because they are not necessary and we already have class
references, and 'ref'-kind references. Indeed pointers don't add any
expressiveness to the language, but they allow for optimizations that
are otherwise not possible, and allowing the writing of fast and
low-level code is one of the goals of D. (this is an extreme example,
but I have seen other not-so-extreme examples)

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Developer, MSc. in CS/E graduate