Empty array vs. null array (WAS: Re: Arrays)

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Sat Apr 26 10:51:18 PDT 2008

Janice Caron wrote:
> On 26/04/2008, Bruno Medeiros <brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail> wrote:
>> Walter Bright wrote:
>>  >>
>>  >> 2) An empty array is equal to a null pointer. Yikes!
>>  >
>>  > Not exactly, although a null array is also an empty array, the reverse is
>> not true.
>>
>>  Really? So what exactly is the difference?
>
> If (array.length == 0) then it's an empty array.
> If (array.ptr == 0 && array.length == 0) then it's a null array.

True.
But that only makes an empty array not the *same* as a null array. They
are still equal (in terms of equality, think of the equality operator),
which I believe is what the original poster was thinking about, and I
agree. Since Walter refuted that by saying "Not exactly", I was trying
to learn why, but probably Walter just misunderstood the OP.

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Developer, MSc. in CS/E graduate