Normalizing Const Syntax.

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Sun Apr 27 09:07:21 PDT 2008

Bill Baxter wrote:
> Georg Wrede wrote:
>
>> Only an idiot would spread the attribute over several pages.
>>
>> This of course means that if one has a class or simply a list of
>> definitions, that starts to grow multi-line, there comes a point where
>> the attribute envelope should be deleted and the definitions
>> attributed individually. (A good text editor should do this, btw.)
>
> Good point.  A rule of thumb may be that the attribute should never be
> more than 1/2 a page of code away from where it applies.  If it starts
> to get more than that, then you should switch your style (perhaps to
> labeling every function a la Java.)
>
> --bb

Proponents of attribute blocks might say that one of the intended uses
of it is when you have lots of declarations (ie, more that 1/2 pages of
code).

Anyways, I'm also not a fan of attribute blocks. For one reason, because
I like each definition to be self-contained. Second, because I like to
group related functions together, and often these groups have mixed
protections (private, public, protected, etc.). If I was to use
attribute blocks I would have to bundle all private methods of the scope
together, all public methods together, etc..

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Developer, MSc. in CS/E graduate