Is all this Invarient **** er... stuff, premature optimisation?

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 28 14:02:45 PDT 2008

"Walter Bright" wrote
> Lars Ivar Igesund wrote:
>> After working with Java for quite some time, I have naturally drifted
>> from
>> using invariant strings to stringbuffers.
>
> Java strings lack slicing, so they're crippled anyway. I believe that
> slicing is one of those paradigm-shifting features, so I am not making an
> irrelevant point.

Java's String.substring(start, last) works just like slicing...

Not that I don't love D slicing above calling a function, but saying that
Java doesn't have slicing is completely false.

Where they lack is in the support of mutable strings, and especially having
strings be treated as native arrays.  D excels in those areas.

-Steve