Is all this Invarient **** er... stuff, premature optimisation?

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Mon Apr 28 17:26:49 PDT 2008

== Quote from Me Here (p9e883002 at sneakemail.com)'s article
> Don't feel the need to argue this on-forum. If it hasn't persuaded you
> that forcing invariance upon one datatype, through providing a string
> library that only work with invariant strings, will do little to address
> the problems it attempts to solve, then I doubt further discussion will.

There's always Tango :p

> Please return to the pragmatism that so stood out in your early visions
> for D and abandon this folly before, as with so many of the follies of the
> gentleman academic of yore, it becomes a life-long quest ending up as a
> memorial or tombstone.

As a point of interest, this quote is at the top of the DigitalMars D page:

"It seems to me that most of the "new" programming languages fall into one
of two categories: Those from academia with radical new paradigms and those
from large corporations with a focus on RAD and the web. Maybe it's time for a
new language born out of practical experience implementing compilers." -- Michael

Sean