Idea: partially pure functions

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Tue Apr 29 18:10:33 PDT 2008

I want to conceptualize an idea that has been briefly mentioned in the
previous pure discussions (by Don I think?), but has not been explicitly
brought into attention.

As we know, the current definition of pure functions (according to
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/accu-functional.pdf) is that they can
only access invariant, or local mutable data. This means that all of the
function's parameters have to be invariant.

The idea is: let's also allow pure functions to have (and access)
non-invariant parameters. These won't be normal pure functions, but
instead "partially" pure functions. Their semantics are: the function
promises not to change any external/global data, except for the
parameters that are not invariant. Example:

   pure char[] mutable_tolower(char[] str) {
     // in-place tolower here as str is mutable...
   }

But what's the use of partially pure functions then?
Well, what happens is that, since the set of possible mutable data of a
partial function is "finite", and restricted to only the function's
parameters, one can safely allow the calling of partially pure functions
inside fully pure functions (and also other partially pure functions).

How come? Well, a fully pure function is allowed to mutate local state.
Thus, it can use that mutable local sate as arguments to a partially
pure function, since that partially pure function will only mutable
those arguments, and nothing else. The contract for a full pure function
is maintained.

Example: consider a pure function that takes two strings as arguments,
concatenates them, tolower's the first half, and toupper's the second
half. How does one write that function with the usual rules for pure
functions? Something like:

   alias char[] mstring;

   char[] xpto(string a, string b) {
     mstring result = a ~ b;

     auto halflen = result.length/2;
     return (tolower(result[0..halflen]) ~ toupper(result[halflen..$]));
   }

But notice that this version is inefficient. About 3 unnecessary
temporary allocations are performed. How could this be prevented? One
solution would be to call mutable versions of tolower and toupper... but
since they are not pure functions, they cannot be called under the
normal rules. But if one allows the partially pure function rules, it
becomes possible. One then could write the previous function as this:

   char[] xpto2(string a, string b) {
     mstring result = a ~ b;

     auto halflen = result.length/2;
     mutable_tolower(result[0..halflen]);
     mutable_toupper(result[halflen..$]);
     return result;
   }

Now, I know that xpto could be rewritten so as to be as efficient as
xpto2 with the current rules, but the code wouldn't look nearly as nice.
And that is precisely the point: You would have to code tolower inside
of xpto, and this is just a trivial example, imagine with more
complicated functions... The partially pure functions allow more
expressiveness and efficiency without any kind of compromise.

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Developer, MSc. in CS/E graduate