std.stringbuffer

Janice Caron caron800 at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 29 23:55:33 PDT 2008

2008/4/30 Bruno Medeiros <brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail>:
>  Also, is there a reason why these mutable functions shouldn't be in
> std.string, together with their invariant/const brethren?

That's why we're having this discussion.

The idea is that std.string can be optimised for invariant strings,
while std.stringbuffer could be optimised for mutable strings. There
are pros and cons for separate modules. I don't think Walter wants
std.string "polluted" by all these functions he doesn't much care for.
Also, it would be bad if mutable versions were called "by mistake"
with consequent unexpected behavior.

But keep discussing. The people I want to hear from most are the
people calling for mutable string functions.