What is Invariant Good For?

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Sat Aug 2 18:52:10 PDT 2008

== Quote from Walter Bright (newshound1 at digitalmars.com)'s article
> Bruce Adams wrote:
> > It strikes me that 'dibblego' is some kind of troll or an extreme pedant
> > from a parallel experience.
> > I'm not sure how much communicating with it is educational. I understand
> > all the terms he's using but none of the meanings he
> > is ascribing to them. And calling you a pseudo intellectual for no
> > obvious reason strikes me as very troll-like not to mention
> > rude.
> His post missed the point of the article by focusing on the definition
> of a word. At some point, who cares what the word is, it's the concept
> that matters.

But words represent concepts... generally very specific ones.  It's why
writing poetry is so darn hard.  But more to the point, what if this D
program:

    void main()
    {
        void fn( int x )
        {
            writefln( x );
        }

        const int x = 5;
        void delegate() d = &fn;
        fn();
    }

Were this instead:

    blue main()
    {
        blue fn( fast x )
        {
            writefln( x );
        }

        querulous skinflint x = V;
        blue refrigerator() d = &fn;
        fn();
    }

Same concepts, same syntax, but could you convince anyone to use
the language?

Sean