More D on reddit

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Mon Aug 4 12:33:36 PDT 2008

Craig Black wrote:

> I like that Andrei's functional
> programming support is not considered to the "the solution" to
> multi-threading.  There are numerous ways to tackle multi-threading.
> Embracing only one would be too limiting.
>
> -Craig

Well, good, because indeed it is not the solution to multi-threading.
And it is not even *a* solution (as in, one of many solutions). The
const system is first and foremost an improvement on the static type
system. In addition, the const system, specially invariant (and upcoming
features such as pure functions) also allow for _some *particular*
optimizations related to concurrency_. But it's nowhere near a full
solution like STM, message-passing, or other things in the same category.
I hope everyone acknowledges this (and from what I've in some other
posts, it seems that's not the case). I know Walter has said that
const/pure is "key to multi-threading", but I'm fairly sure it was meant
in the sense that const/pure was necessary for a concurrency solution,
but was not the whole solution. And it clearly is not.

(note, I'm not disparaging the const system because of this, I'm only
clarifying its objective)

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Developer, MSc. in CS/E graduate