Multicores and Publication Safety

Benji Smith dlanguage at benjismith.net
Tue Aug 5 11:05:20 PDT 2008

Sean Kelly wrote:
> My big question now is how computers will be
> built in the coming years... will we have a few traditional (fast) cores
> plus a general-purpose parallel computing cluster?
>
> Sean

Interesting you should bring this up. I was just reading an article
yesterday about the "Cell Broadband Engine" used in the Playstation 3.

It features one general-purpose 64-bit PowerPC chip (the "Power
Processor Element") and eight co-processing cores (the "Synergistic
Processing Units"), each with a 128-bit SIMD architecture.

So, at least from the perspective of IBM and Sony, the answer is "yes".

--benji