Larrabee

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Tue Aug 5 11:05:40 PDT 2008

Sean Kelly wrote:
> Bill Baxter wrote:
>> Details are our about Intel's Larrabee multi-core x86 processor.
>> I haven't had a chance to look into it myself yet, but it definitely
>> is looking like the multi-core future is right around the corner.
>>
>> http://levelofdetail.wordpress.com/2008/08/04/larrabee-paper-and-articles/
>>
>> http://www.gpgpu.org/cgi-bin/blosxom.cgi/2008/08/04#larrabeeSIGGRAPH08
>>
>> Here's the abstract from the paper they'll present at SIGGRAPH next week:
>>
>> This paper presents a many-core visual computing architecture
>> code named Larrabee, a new software rendering pipeline, a manycore
>> programming model, and performance analysis for several
>> applications. Larrabee uses multiple in-order x86 CPU cores
>

> Cool that Intel was telling the truth about their newest processor
> moving to a fully ordered memory model--it looks like they've fully
> embraced the idea of scaling laterally.  More once I've had a chance to
> read the ACM paper.  Thanks for the link!

I skimmed the paper for stuff relevant for general-purpose programming,
and it's even better than I'd hoped.  Erlang will be perfect for this
new architecture, and this dovetails reasonably well with our goal of
building on a message-passing model for Tango as well.  The integration
with TBB and OpenMP is a nice touch too.  I suppose that means we really
need support for at least the scheduling aspects of these in a D library
as well.  Hm...

Sean