Is this project possible?

Robert Fraser fraserofthenight at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 11:28:22 PDT 2008

> I'm currently working on a desktop analytics project, kind of like
> Google Analytics or Omniture, but for desktop software rather than for
> web apps (if you're interested, you can read more here:
> http://benjismith.net/index.php/2008/06/02/business-intelligence-for-desktop-software/
> )

Awesome! Maximum respect to you.

> Ideally, I'd like to write this client library in D, but there seem to
> be some blocking issues. For example, I've read that the garbage
> collectors for D and Java conflict with one another (in that they listen
> for the same OS signals) and that any native JNI code developed with D
> needs to avoid using the garbage collector.

Only in Linux. This, of course, can be worked around using IPC, but it's a bit of a hassle & takes more system resources.

> But is it possible to create
> Threads and HTTP connections without using the GC? (Inidentally, I'd
> planned on using Tango with D 1.x, if that makes any difference.)

Yes... as long as you're not doing too much allocation & never need to collect, you don't need a GC. Tango is a lot better than Phobos at this (look at Mango; it does very little allocation [= none] once the server has been set up.

> Does the same conflict exist with the .Net GC? Does it make any
> difference if I plan on using the Tango GC rather than the one in Phobos?

Not the .NET Windows one, since the problem is only on Linux. Not sure about Mono.