Is this project possible?

Benji Smith dlanguage at benjismith.net
Wed Aug 6 12:02:00 PDT 2008

Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 09:35:14 +0300, Benji Smith
> <dlanguage at benjismith.net> wrote:
>
>> But consider yourself the application consumer. You've just purchased
>> a new piece of software, and the first time you launch it, your
>> firewall notifies you that "StatisticalCollectionAgent.exe is
>> requesting access to the internet".
>
> Well, IMHO before the first Internet connection your application should
> ask the consumer if they wish to participate in anonymous statistical
> data collection which will help improve the software in the future, etc.
> At least, that's how the big guys (Microsoft etc.) do it. I don't think
> anyone would be unhappy if they got a firewall warning after approving
> that :)

I agree 100%.

But since I'm just providing the technology for the collection, I can't
enforce anyone asking the user for permission. And I think the user
experience is at least somewhat better if the process making the HTTP
request is the same process that's being monitored.

It's no big deal, really. The in-process solution, accounting for
Java/Linux, will be slightly trickier to code, but it's not impossible,
so I think it'll be okay.

--benji