Tango vs Phobos

Frank Benoit keinfarbton at googlemail.com
Sun Aug 10 07:54:31 PDT 2008

Jarrett Billingsley schrieb:
> "Lars Ivar Igesund" <larsivar at igesund.net> wrote in message
> news:g7mboq$qcl$1 at digitalmars.com...
>
>> Also as long as closures are allocated on stack, that is likely to be
>> rather
>> detrimental to the performance.
>
> Heap.
>
> That is another major blocker for me besides const.  Most of my code uses
> nested functions that are never supposed to be closures, and this "feature"
> would cause it all to unnecessarily allocate memory.

i second that.
It is an closure solution which was implemented too easy, imho.

1.) it breaks the semantic of an existing syntax. So existing code can
be broken without any warning. (change in runtime behaviour)
2.) there is still no alternative syntax to get the old behaviour
3.) the closures are not really closures. E.g. const variables can
change value. (Bug 2043)

This is definately a blocker to switch from D1 to D2.