Feature Request: nontrivial functions and vtable optimizations

Christopher Wright dhasenan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 04:50:11 PDT 2008

Craig Black wrote:
> Rather than relying on PGO, I would prefer the ability to assign a
> priorities to virtual functions in the code.  This would indicate to the
> compiler what virtual functions will be called the most.
>
> -Craig

Or you could wait a bit[1] and have LLVM do that for you, assuming
you're willing to run LLVM bytecode. And considering it's LLVM, you
could probably hack it to periodically dump the optimized code. So you'd
optimize your application by fooling around with it for a couple hours.

[1] "A bit" may be as long as a decade. I dunno.