Multiple Inheritance of Classes

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 13 10:12:25 PDT 2008

"lurker" wrote
>I hate to even think of it but on this one I am with Superdan. Don't get me
>wrong I think he is the worst scar this group has. I think he has a real
>problem with the way he treats people and I wouldn't want to be his
>coworker or neighbor. Most of his posts are so vile I feel like puking when
>I read them and I blocked him a long time ago. In this thread I saw his
>posts in quotes and I almost wish I didn't. But I have to say if he had
>minimal skills at writing he would of won this argument hands down.
>
> I for one was firmly in the "mi is evil" camp on unclear grounds of
> ambiguity. Lars feel-good post only inforced that. Now my understanding
> has changed. (Many thanks especially to Dee Girl.)
>
> Most disappointing is one thing. When Lars answered to Superdan in a
> civilized manner he had an excellent opportunity at showing his class. But
> he missed it by neither affirming nor denying he knew about the layout
> problem. That leaves us facing the uncomfortable possibility that he
> didn't know about it but he did not have the strength to admit it.

I think you completely misunderstood the original question along with Lars'
answer.  A simple question was asked.  Why does D not have Multiple
inheritance.  A simple answer was given.  Because many people don't like it,
including the author (and me incidentally).  What more explaining is
necessary from someone who has observed this?

It's like if I said to Lars "I don't like pizza" (which I actually love, but
that's beside the point).  And Chris asks a group of people, "why doesn't
Steve eat pizza?  Is it because he doesn't like it?", and Lars says "Yes,
because he doesn't like it.  Many people don't like it", and you cry foul
and tell him off and he should not answer questions unless he *knows* the
details.

All this is really actually kind of amusing, we are arguing about stuff that
really has no bearing on anything :)

-Steve