Tango vs Phobos

Benji Smith dlanguage at benjismith.net
Wed Aug 13 15:01:50 PDT 2008

Robert Fraser wrote:
> Benji Smith Wrote:
>
>> Robert Fraser wrote:
>>> I see the D community heading for a split. One side will be D1 (hopefully a D 1.5) +tango, and the other side will be D2+phobos.  I don't think of this as a bad thing nessescarily, just two different directions.
>> That might be okay in an open source project, where the community can
>> just fork the project and go their separate ways. But my assumption is
>> that D1 will eventually be end-of-life'd, maybe when D3 eventually
>> arrives. What happens to the D1 people then? Especially given the
>> incompatibilities between D1 and D2. They won't be able to easily port
>> their code, and my assumption is that they'll just be screwed.
>>
>> --benji
>
> D1 is definitely not dead. LLVMDC only supports D1 and is soon to come
> out. Dil... I'm not sure how alive it is, but that's D1-only, too. Most D
> projects/libraries right now are D1-only.

Sure, that's the case now.

But imagine yourself back in 1997, supporting Java 1.0 but (for whatever
reason) not wanting to jump into Java 1.1.

At the time, you wouldn't have had any problem with compilers,
libraries, or JVMs.

But eventually, you'd be screwed. Nobody can develop anything in Java
1.0 anymore. It's just not possible.

My assumption is that D1 will eventually be as anachronistic as Java
1.0, and those who aren't willing to move their code to D2 will have to
pick up their toys and go home.

--benji