The Death of D. (Was Tango vs Phobos)

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Wed Aug 13 15:37:39 PDT 2008

Paul D. Anderson wrote:
> But what I
> would really like to see (and I don't think it's asking too much) is
> a clear statement from Walter that he will indeed make the changes
> the Tango developers are asking for at some future date.

In order for this to happen, I need a clear and unambiguous statement
from the Tango developers that Phobos can incorporate parts of the Tango
runtime and place them under the Phobos license. I have already provided
a reciprocal license to Tango.

I've asked for that for over a year, and so far only Sean and Don have
done so.

Such an agreement is necessary for the following reasons:

1. To ensure Phobos is free of any legal taint and any accusations of
stealing code.

2. To avoid the untenable issue of a single module in Phobos having
different license for different lines of code.

I have explained this to the main Tango developers on multiple
occasions. It is their right and privilege to license Tango as they see
fit, and I respect that and so have not spoken out on it before. But in
this thread I am being cast as a roadblock, which I feel is a little
unfair, so I will loosen my tongue and speak up a bit :-)